06 July 2009

Science Roundup 07/06/09 - Bumpkins, Babies, and Babes

So having just noted the visit of actual scientists to the Creationism museum, and having just watched Inherit The Wind, I am amused by the following - some smart person points out why the Bible is wrong: namely, everything was on the ark, even the dinosaurs. So why are they extinct? LOGIC FTW.

Related: WHY EVEN GIVE IT CREDENCE BY REFERENCING IT?!

I am increasingly thinking there is something to the school of thought that as we have poisoned our environment, it is poisoning us. Phthalates may be causing pre-term births, nitrates may cause Alzheimer's, inbreeding is BAD (note to the South), and not sleeping is BAD particularly if you're an XX. I am a scientist, and I know what closed systems are - and things (ecosystems) develop in equilibrium with their surroundings. When that is disrupted... well, all hell breaks loose.

Somewhat related: The simpler, the better (sometimes) when it comes to childbirth. I hope all my breeding brethren find that of interest.

Of course, not all progress is bad. For example, vaccines. As I bitched about recently, there's no evidence they cause autism. and, there's a *reason* they are mandatory. Also, research shows how we might fight Alzheimer's. And, as someone born with a heart defect, this makes me happy.

Related to Alzheimer's: is there ANYTHING coffee can't fix?!.

Ahh, if only we had so little to worry about as the Netherlands.

So your Social Security number isn't as secure as it seems. Well, if you were born after 1988.


Depressed students are more likely to drop out
. As a ninth-year graduate student, my research has also told me that the sky is blue.

Oh, and chicks RULE!

Finally, Damn, I'm old.

No comments:

Post a Comment